Primers are a makeup artist's best friend! Primer is applied to the skin before foundation, and it helps create an even base for your makeup. They can also be used in other ways too- especially on oily skin types. So how do you know which primer is right for you? Read this blog post to find out more about primers!
What is a primer, and why do I need it?
Primer is a product that helps makeup last longer, thickens the formula of your makeup, so it doesn't absorb as quickly into the skin, and gives skin an even appearance to make foundation go on smoothly. It also prepares skin for other products such as blush or bronzer.
The best type of primer for your skin
Primers are different from person to person because each type has a different purpose and target audience.
- blurring primers-blurs imperfections, pores, and fine lines. These are meant for those with dry skin as they create a smooth canvas that makes the foundation go on more smoothly and gives the skin a dewy look
- mattifying primers-makes oily skin matte and reduces shine. These are for those with oily skin as they help make pores smaller, smooths the surface of the skin, and absorbs any excess oils your face may produce throughout the day, leaving your makeup fade-proof and fresh all-day
- color-correcting primers-primers that cancel out redness, sallowness, hyperpigmentation. This is for those with highly sensitive skin to even out the natural color of the face.
- Pore-Minimizing Primers-for deep pores that want to make the appearance of pores less visible.
The most important thing to do when choosing a primer is to know your skin type and what it needs. After you know what your skin needs, then you can choose the best primer for your skin.
How to apply the primer
Follow the steps to know how to use primer on the face:
Step 1: wash your face
Step 2: mix the primer with moisturizer
Step 3: Apply all over your face and wait 5 minutes before applying any other products.
Tips to remember:
- Wash your hands before you apply any product to avoid contaminating it with dirt and oil
- Make sure to use primer on areas you want to emphasize, such as the cheekbones or brow bones
- Always apply your primer first before any other products
- Never leave the cap off your primer so it's fresh and can be used whenever you need it
- You should always wait 5 minutes before applying any other products
- Always wash your makeup brushes on a regular basis to avoid breakouts and skin irritation from bacteria buildup
- Only apply a thin layer of primer that is even all over your face
- You can mix your primer with a moisturizer if you feel like it's not enough hydration or if you feel like it's too much hydration.
You may also like: Benefits of Face Primer and How to Use It Correctly
Hope this article could empower you on how to choose the primer best suited for you and how to get started on applying it!